Nordhausen

5:57 AM Damnorange 0 Comments

Because of aufnahmeprüfung or entrance examination that being held on 31 August, I have to go to Nordhausen, a small city in Thüringen. That was my first and sole experience going outside of Berlin since the first time I arrive at Germany, which already three months ago. Now, there's of course nothing special about it. I already fly from Indonesia all the way up to Germany, 220 km journey was nothing special.

Well, it's right, it's not that special, yet.

First, I'm a very paranoid person. My mind just can't stop project the worse scenario of every plan I have and force the poor brain to at least have one perfectly make senses and applicable solution to the situation. So even though I already booked and planned everything, I still can't help to not feel anxious.
The trip to Nordhausen was pleasant. My train was on 8:40 in the morning, with the one and only ICE train--one of the fastest train in the world (number two after Japan's shinkansen if i'm not wrong?)--from Berlin Hbf (Hauptbahnhof / main station of Berlin) to Halle hbf. It takes around 1 hour and half with smooth fast trip and comfy seat and I of course really enjoy the trip. 

From Halle I changed train to another type of German's train, RE. It was not as nice as ICE, but serve it's purpose though. The weather are nice at that day so I don't complaining much about the lack of air conditioner. And even though it's only a regional train, I still can't help to not feel a bit excited seating on the upper floor of the train.

One of the thing that make it pleasant was the small amount of passengers (because of course what would be better than a quiet chill trip in the middle of nowhere?)


It takes around the same time till I reach the end station of RE, Nordhausen. Honestly, I don't expect much as I don't know what to expect. I raised and born in Indonesia and the only foreign country I ever visited is Singapore (that only take 1 hour tops from the Island i lived with boot). Berlin, the all-you-can find place and the excitement that always filled the city, as my first destination first time going to Europe, I don't know how small city of Germany supposed to looks, or even how others city besides Berlin will looks.

It's fucking beautiful.



There's something old and unique about the place that I can't describe. I love the atmosphere, the building even the street. Love that I can explore the city just by walking around and still be able to find my way back home. One thing that I regret (two, actually) that I don't take many pictures as I'm with my friend and they are in hurry and I can only spent little times looking around.


 My friends keep telling me that old Germany's city mostly look like this (as she lived in Göttingen) but it's still so beautiful for me.


Look at that greens, how I wished I spend a bit more time to take a better pictures.

The first day was enjoyable and eventful. But then living in foreign country, there's always another excitement waiting for you. Sadly, the second days get a bit tiring and not as enjoyable as the first. Due to the amount of the participants we decide to go to the University on 7 am and arrived there in just 10 minutes. However the queue was long already. It takes 5 hours waiting in beneath the striking sun and hot dry weather till we are inside. The test itself only took 2 hours and by around 2 o'clock in the afternoon we are already tired, sweaty as hell and ready to back home.

I don't take any picture on the second day as there's no chance (and mood) to take it. My train back to Berlin was on 17:38 pm with RE train to Halle and then ICE to Berlin. However there's around 40 minutes delay (verspätung) and I definitely would miss the train to Berlin.

It was hard to not feeling anxious whilst on the train, with the weather so fucking hot too. The train was crowded with all students that going back home. The trip back was definitely not nice. It was really hot inside, with no air conditioner and only a air ventilation at the top of the main windows. The only good thing were I'm at least not travelling alone. I met friend that going back to Berlin at Nordhausen's station so I have someone to kill the time with.

Don't know what to do, we immediately going to DB customer's service as soon as we reach Halle because it was our first time experience travelling with it and we both bought Sparpreis-bahnsticket. It is the cheapest type of ticket that limited us to be able only use specific number and type of train on specific time schedule that we already choose. At that time our concerns was our train to Berlin already departed and we don't know if we still can go to Berlin with the next train or we should buy another ticket (which would causes us a lot of fortune, of course).

Long story short our anxiety doesn't come true and we heading back to Berlin with the next ICE train available. Another one and half comfortable hour till we reach Berlin. I love Nordhausen at the first sight, but then If I have to choose I also still love Berlin's hecticness.

Because live with the heat of Berlin is definitely pleasant in another way too.

0 comments: